The good news is that self-care doesn’t need to be expensive holidays or massages or yoga retreats (although they do sound pretty good). Self-care be can simple, easy, and straightforward. In fact, the best self-care is the constant repetition of small acts of self-love and kindness. Doing small things every day is easy and effective. Here are some suggestions to get you started.
View this post on Instagram
Did you know that there are plenty of benefits you can get by just burning a candle? For instance, it can help you reduce anxiety, increase your focus, and recall happy memories. It’s amazing how a candle can help us in our well-being! How about you, do you use candles in your self-care routine? #selfcare #selflove #mindfulness #healing #healingjouney #positivevibes #loveyourself
- Switch everything off (smartphone, tablet, computer, TV) just for an hour, and enjoy some uninterrupted silence.
- Stand up and stretch your arms above your head. Wriggle your fingers and toes. Shrug your shoulders up to your ears, and then drop them down. Do a few head circles, nod and shake your head gently.
- Breathe gently and deeply, in and out, three times. Smile.
- Put on your favorite song and get up and dance.
- Take the dog for a walk. If you don’t have a dog, borrow a friend’s dog and enjoy watching them live in the moment.
- Buy yourself a healthy treat. Choose the ripest peach, the most luscious looking mango, the most fragrant strawberries.
- Sit under a tree and feel the quiet.
- Have a self-date and go to a movie or museum.
- Get some positive strokes. Ask three friends what they love about you.
- Have a nap. A twenty-minute nap or zone out can make a huge difference to your energy levels.
- Give yourself a night at home. Have a bath and eat dinner on the sofa in your jammies.
- Have an early night and take that new novel to bed and read for a while before getting a good night’s sleep.
- Listen to a meditation on your smartphone or tablet. There are lots of apps with thousands of guided meditations for everything from relaxation to weight loss.
- Treat yourself to your favorite childhood food.
- Take a friend to the park and go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and just look at the sky.
- Declutter your social media. Mute or delete people who drag you down with negative energy.
- Take one day every week where you do something for you, whether it’s a hobby, sport, bookshop browsing, or staying in bed reading.
Do something every day that nourishes your mind, body, and soul, and you’ll find self-care is not so hard after all.